Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sweet Corn, Next Left

My beat just changed from Nola to Athens, Ohio, location of my upcoming PhD program, three days ago. I feel like Liz Lemon in Cleveland! I've been listening to a great deal of news from Lake Wobegon of late, which has felt like nice cultural prep.

Changes I have noticed:

No drive thru daiquiri stores, but Nelsonville has a drive thru bait and tackle.

Sweet corn. And more sweet corn.

That there’s that familiar hum of NC insects at night (I lived in Durham for 18 years)

Oh, and there’s those allergies again, too

Everyone runs into businesses panting Thank God! A/C! when outdoors is cooler than my Nola apartment was indoors.

Food is more organic, crispier, healthier, and blander.

This will be my first time recycling again in three years.

The postman shook my hand and asked for my name. In Nola, I would gather with my neighbors in the street and exchange mail. Excuse me, but are you Leonie Comeaux?

My brain feels a lot clearer here, it has more room, all the jittery New Orleans energy has eased out. Part of me is relieved and part of me is already bored. (Priced round trip tix, only $150!) My place here is twice as large. Now I have a downstairs, a big kitchen, and TWO upstairs rooms. TWO!

I have also driven by Ellis Hall, very red bricky with white trim, a promising place to restart my Wonderboys lifestyle.

No comments: