Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Three Ps: Update #2

PhD: I have decided to defer my acceptance to Nebraska. The thought of five more years of school suddenly felt completely insane. What? A language requirement? What? I have to take real lit classes and not just workshop? (Shhh. Don't tell. I revealed none such laxness in my personal statement. And a year out of the nest might change my mind).

Panhandling: Thank you tax refund and stimulus check. Garage sale bought groceries this week. TA money keeps coming through June.

Publishing: Nothing on the books but I actually started writing again Monday. It hurt as bad as I thought it would. The article I thought needed a polish, in fact needed complete restructuring. It's best if I don't tally the hours.

Unlike Laurie and Trina, I'm not applying for professional work. So what am I doing? All year I kvetched about wanting a third year to work on my thesis, so I'm giving it to myself -- in New Orleans. Always did love The Moviegoer. I worked in the restaurant business before school, and although I swore I would never, ever, as Godismywitness evah wear an apron again...what can I say. Anybody else know of a job I can make $25 plus an hour, work at night (I'm a morning writer) and keep my pants on?The image “http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/english/ms-writers/dir/percy_walker/sm-bechac's.jpeg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

No comments: